Chemical Peel Myths & Misconceptions
Myth versus Truth
High percentages of single-acid peels penetrate deeper into the skin, creating more trauma.
Superficial, blended peels formulated with anti-inflammatory and hydrating ingredients create little to no downtime.
Many superficial, blended formulations are suitable for all Fitzpatrick skin types.
Peels can be performed safely year round
- ALL types of exfoliation make the skin more compromised in the days post-treatment.
- It is no safer to receive a facial, microdermabrasion, enzyme treatment etc., and go outdoors unprotected for extended periods of time than it is to receive a chemical peel.
Benefits of Peels Year Round
- Maintain skin health
- Continued progress toward patient goals, without the need to start over
- Maximized daily care results
- Year-round glow
- More touchpoints and continued revenue
Combining chemical peels allows the professional to treat multiple concerns in one treatment.
- It is recommended to perform each treatment by itself before combing in one treatment.
- When combining PCA SKIN ® Therapeutic Masks with liquid peels you will apply the mask first, remove and follow with the application of the liquid peel.
When combined safely and according to manufacturer guidelines many devices can be combined with chemical peels to enhance the patient outcome.
- PCA SKIN® has several protocols combining devices with specific chemical peels such as; microdermabrasion, dermaplaning, LED
Each state has unique regulations regarding what type of chemical peels aestheticians are allowed to perform.
- PCA SKIN® has a comprehensive Chemical Peel Certification course that provides the knowledge, tools and protocols to be able to perform chemical peels safely and effectively.
- Achieving the PCA SKIN® Certified Professional designation provides added credibility and opportunity for optimal pay.
- Retinol is converted to retinoic acid, increases cell turnover and improves skin function, tone and texture.
- With proper encapsulation, irritation is minimized.
- Formulated with additional ingredients to reduce inflammation, redness and soothe the skin such as: Inflashield™, niacinamide, hexylresorcinol and bisabolol.
- Compacts the epidermal barrier, reducing TEWL increasing skin function and comfort
- Topical retinoids play a role in inhibiting immune factors responsible for inflammation, benefiting rosacea patients 1.
- Retinoids downregulate VEGF/VPF that reduces the signs of the disorder (edema, erythema, and telangiectasias) 2,3.
- Additionally, retinoids downregulate Toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2), which helps to reduce rosacea symptoms. 1,2.
- Yamasaki K, et al, Society for Investigative Dermatology 2011; 131 688-697
- Two A, et al, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 2015; 72:5 761-769
- Weninger W, et al, The Society for Investigative Dermatology 1998; 111:5 907-911